Monday, April 29, 2013

Sa Wakas. Jukebox Musical ng Sugarfree.

I've seen a couple of musicals back in high school and college, but this is the first time I ever watched a musical just because I wanted to. And I really wanted to. Sugarfree ba naman ang mga ginamit na kanta e.

Having said that, hindi ako marunong mag-review ng musical. I'm just sharing my experience of watching one. :)

The show that I was able to see was the one with Fred Lo, Laura Cabochan, and Justine Peña as the main characters: Topper, Lexi, and Gabbi.

The Story

It's a love story. A couple of love stories, actually: how the beginning of one became the end of another. Topper's a photographer, Lexi's his neurosurgeon fiancée, and Gabbi's an editor that had an affair with Topper. I won't elaborate further. Alam na natin ang takbo ng kwento. Ika nga ni Gabbi: "Ano tayo? Nakiki-uso? Teleserye? Kabit movie!"

The cast in the middle along with the ensemble.

It's the way how the story was told that's truly amazing.
At first, akala ko: "Ahhh... flashback-flashback din. Parang How I Met Your Mother."
Then I went: "Nakakalito a. Baka ala-500 Days of Summer to."
Then my brother figured it out and told me: "Pabaliktad yung takbo ng kwento."
Each musical number was performed that way. Confusing, yes, pero amazing because when you get it, it works. At ngayon lang ako nakakita ng ganun.

So depending on how you look at it, pwedeng happy ending, pwedeng hindi.

The Songs

The show opened with Kwarto. Lyrics pa lang alam mo na yung situation, kahit di pa nagsisimula yung kwento. You can feel the heartbreak the way it was sung. Pero lacking the background of the story, may kulang talaga. But on the VERY LAST moment of the show, knowing the whole story behind it, the song suddenly became so powerful. Ang galing. Hands down, this is my favorite song (in the sense of how it was used) in the musical.

Other highlights:

Burnout: Lexi and Topper
Hangover: Gabbi, Lexi, Topper
The lyrics of these songs just strike through the heart. How the characters used it in their situations made it even more so.

Ikaw Pala: Gabbi and Topper (one of my favorite Sugarfree songs)
Prom: Lexi and Topper
Every now and then, you'll hear these two mixed in with other songs or as background music. Then if haven't figured it out yet, you'll realize na theme songs nila yun when it's own number finally came.

Ang Pinakamagaling na Tao (sa Balat ng Lupa): Lexi and Topper
Hari ng Sablay: Gabbi and Topper
Super hilarious scenes, which is a breather from all the sad and heart-wrenching break up songs.
I always like these. When a duet is perfect for the situation of the two people who would never, ever, sing a duet with the other.

Bawat Daan: Gabbi, Lexi, Topper, Ensemble
The original song made just for the musical. Classic Ebe Dancel lyrics (Alam na yan ng fans). Tumigil puso ko nung kinanta bigla ni Gabbi yung "Ikaw Pala." Tapos sinama pa yung "Prom." This was the song that made the whole musical, for me at least.

The entire cast singing "Bawat Daan."
I love how they mixed in "Prom" at "Ikaw Pala"
Final thoughts:

All in all, this is one experience I will not forget. To be honest, if it weren't for the Sugarfree songs, I wouldn't be interested. Being a fan of the band, I was really expecting to see something good and I was curious on how they will incorporate all of the songs to create a story.

They did not disappoint. The whole thing was heartbreaking, comedic, exciting, and for a lack of a better word, nakakakilig, in all the right moments. At na-capture nila sobra yung meaning at feeling nung mga kanta. End pa lang ng Act 1, alam ko na na sulit na yung bayad ko. And that short scene at the very end, the one where Topper proposed then everything went back to the beginning (or the end), was nothing short of amazing. Nangilid ang luha ko at tumayo ang balahibo sa batok.


Bravo! Sobrang galing! 5 out of 5 stars! Kailangan ulitin!

P.S. Sana lang magka-soundtrack. Pleaspleaseplease.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for watching!

Michael said...

Wow. Thanks for writing such a great show! I'd watch it again if you guys run it again. :)